9/25/09

Metamorphism is a harsh mistress (Vesper Peak solo)

My first attempt at rockhounding was....shall we say...a bust. I am, so far, more like a rockjackrusselterrier, running excitedly in circles and finding nothing. Actually, I found some mediocre hydrothermal quartz, but I think I may actually need to do more research before I find anything really cool.

However, the hike itself was great! I'd never done Vesper before, and it was much shorter than I expected, and just as steep as claimed. I went by myself, mostly because you all have like 7 jobs and hate free time. Also because I like going hiking alone sometimes.

This is from the road, I highly recommend coming down this road even if you want just a scenic drive.
Vesper Peak 1

Not much color yet....
The only fall color I could find

Revenge of the Pluton.
Hello Granite!

And some of the guys that Pluton has messed up.
Hello Quartzite!

I camped on the edge of the lake (you can see my little yellow bivy in the bottom right corner), the climb from it is surprisingly short.
Sperry and Lake

Hover the mouse over the photo.
You know, for scale...

Granite always wins in a fight between two rocks. And I have NO idea what this stuff was, all banded and foliated and.....stuff.
Hello...Metamorphicsomething!

Same here, various metaconglomerates and metasandstones and such.
This place has some crazy rocks

Del Campo and Gothic on the right.
More Crazy Rocks

Vesper Peak 3

This photo has been artificially brightened, but look how long that slab goes for in the bottom of the frame, I would guess at least 2000ft, maybe more.
Longest Waterslide in WA

I only ever seem to do this when I'm by myself.....
Not-Serious Face Hiker Self Portrait

Hello I-5 corridor! You can see the olympics kinda poking out. Must have been a bit grey down in town eh?
Crashing Waves of the Sea

Rainier in center frame. Rain shadow in action!
Down South

Up North

I'm not scowling, but squinting into the sun.
Sunset On Vesper

Island in the Clouds

Vesper Peak 6

Vesper Peak 7

Way cool hike, I'd definitely go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Washington, United States