9/22/09

Taylor vs Sepia bandwagon, Round 1

Sometime in ancient history, there was a person I spent lots of time with who insisted that a photograph could (or would) look "better" or "more artsy", simply by clicking the sepia option. If you don't know what that is, look it up, because I only have like 2 photos from weddings that I've done that to, for a specific reason. Long story short, I think it's ridiculous.

The sepia tone is what would HAPPEN (as in: NOT intentional) to old photographs during a toning process applied to make the photograph resistant to fading. Now, I'm not saying it can't look good, because sometimes it does, especially if a photo is overexposed (if you're an amateur dweeb like me), sepia can sometimes salvage an otherwise non-presentable photo. Also, if you dress up like a cowboy and want the photo to look old and crappy, you can do sepia.

Nothing in particular spawned this rant, it's something that comes up from time to time, usually when people ask why I love photos with wild colors (because the real world is colorful, why not showcase it?!).

Now I will conduct proper science, by offering evidence to support my view, from my hike to Mt Dickerman today.

Dickerman 1

Yes, the saturation here is a bit wonky, because it was really, REALLY red on its own, and the in camera color boost was enough to make it look fake, but rest assured, it really was this gorgeous.
Red[vs]BlueBerry Bushes

Kim was basically a blueberry obsessed zombie.
The Madness Sets In.

Glacier peak is our secret volcano that no one knows about, soon, people won't see it at all. They'll say "GLACIER peak huh? is it behind that cinder cone over there?"
Sadder and Sadder

"This is Pretty Rad"

It was like, 95 degrees today, on the first day of fall. WTF.
Dickerman Summitblock

Dickerman 2

Funny weather station..... or something..... [insert shifty eyes]
Skynet is watching...

It's too bad we have all these damned evergreens, staying green, forever.
Dickerman 6

I think this is my favorite picture from the day.
Blueberries as far as the eye can see...

Them fall colors

Dickerman 8

The madness! Bushels and bushels of madness!
Crack-Berries

Dickerman 9

So, there you have it. I posit you this question, if I made the above photos sepia, would they have been better? (that's a rhetorical jab, aka: me being an ass)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Washington, United States