1/2/10

The solstice turning point: reminiscence and hope.

I learned the hard way that one can't dwell on the past.... and I don't. In fact, I don't think I could list off what happened in 2009 aside from the big stuff....

One of the many reasons I love photography, is that you can be selective about what gets recorded. For example; being cold, wet, and miserable for 3 days fades into legend, while the beautiful sunset you watched there stays solid and memorable. Or the fury that burned at the thought of someone's actions, becomes dampened into a simple "sigh" and photos of a good hike with a person you once knew.

For me, 2009 was characterized by a few things:
-The explosive expansion of my social sphere.
-Continuing the trend of increase of my skill in photography, including having some of my work published.
-A fair bit of travel, specifically: Yosemite for spring break and my birthday, Montana for field geology, and Europe for Andrew's wedding and the Europe thing.
-My [not so] secret emotional breakdown over the course of the entire year, which stemmed from general fatigue and loneliness.
-The delightful discovery that I will indeed be finishing school this year (cough...7 years in the making....then I'll go get a masters soon too).
-A big deal for EVERYONE ELSE apparently: Having my first 'drink'. However, to this day I've had few enough drinks to be counted on one hand....

Here are some new photos I uploaded, mixed in with a few overlooked ones from this last year.

Taken on my birthday.
Yosemite 21

Andrew and I having a right fine time in the mountains.
Perry Backpack 22

Scotty, Brontosaurus rex, and Garnetman.
DSC_0839

DSC_9570

Previously unreleased material. I think everyone knows the story here.
DSC_9587

DSC_9536

DSC_0512

DSC_9818

The Brown Eyed Girl, full of angst.
DSC_9429

The Bauer, full of angst.
DSC_9912

DSC_9534

Scott, Scotty, and the Moon, on 4th of July.
DSC_9431

Ze Matterhorn.
DSC_2295

Actually, the Matterhorn is a huge metamorphic mess, and they had cool signs talking about it!
DSC_2313

My favorite hike.
Colorful Scree

Good day.
Them fall colors

I think I'm going to do a lot more solo backpacking this year too.
Vesper Peak 6


For 2010, I have these plans and hopes:
-Finish school....like, actually. Then apply for the Masters in Teaching ASAP.
-Go on a date, successfully.
-Take some photos of mountains and stuff... har har.
-To facilitate the above, I am going to continue traveling, this is probably what I'll be putting most of my energy into. Here is my list of confirmed trips: Hawaii for spring break and my birthday. Assiniboine provincial park and Banff in the Canadian Rockies, with possible side trips to Glacier, Tetons, and/or Yellowstone. Lots of hiking in Washington. Keep in touch if you wish to join me on any/all of these adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Washington, United States